Sir Alexander Erskine of Gogar (c1521-1592)
Alexander was a son of John Erskine, 5th Lord Erskine and Lady Margaret Campbell, a daughter of Archibald Campbell, 2nd Earl of Argyll. As the younger son, he was called the “Master of Mar.” He was also laird of the lands of Gogar, a village near Edinburgh. After the death of his brother, John Erskine, Earl of Mar, Alexander was given the task of safeguarding the young king of Scotland at Stirling in 1572.
Engraved by Birrell for ‘Iconographia Scotica or Portraits of Illustrious Persons of Scotland’ by John Pinkerton. Published in London, 1797.
Image size 83 x 127 mm