Greece, Temple of Hephaestus, previously known as The Temple of Theseus, Athens
This is a Digital Image not an actual print
Inscriptions found within the temple associate it firmly with Hephaestus, the patron god of metal working, craftsmanship, and fire. From the 7th century until 1834, it served as the Greek Orthodox church of Saint George Akamates and was well maintained due to its history of varied use. The view from the North shows, on the right, the ruins of the Gate of Morea in the Wall of Haseki. This last wall was built in 1778 to protect the city from roving Ottoman-Albanian warbands.
Drawn by Johann Jacob Wolfensberger (1797-1850) and engraved by A. Le Petit for ‘The Rhine, Italy and Greece’ 1841-43, by Rev G. N. Wright and published by Fisher, Son and Co.
Original image size 190 x 122 mm
Digital image size 4498 x 2887 px
38.1 cm x 24.4 cm (300 ppi)