Bird’s Eye View of Edinburgh from the South, 1647 – James Gordon
James Gordon, parson of Rothiemay, Aberdeenshire was paid 500 merks by Edinburgh Council to draw up this famous map of Edinburgh in 1647. It was originally engraved by the Dutch firm of W. & J. Blaeu of Amsterdam. The map was completed by 1655. This lithographic reduction was produced by map makers W. & A. K. Johnston of Edinburgh for Sir Daniel Wilson’s Memorials of Edinburgh in the Olden Time, 1891. There are four original vertical folds in the map.
Image size 676 x 217 mm